The 1st Annual South Florida Fair Kid’s Mile is a 12 week training program that enables kids to complete a full marathon (26.2 miles) by running or walking approximately 2 miles per week. By doing so, kids develop the tremendous feeling of accomplishment and confidence without the high risk involved with young kids running a full marathon in one day. The South Florida Fair 1st Annual Kid’s Mile was completed in grand fashion on Saturday, January 14, 2012, at the South Florida Fair in West Palm Beach. Each child was able to run the final mile of the marathon. The South Florida Fair Kid’s Mile was endorsed by The School District of Palm Beach County. All elementary schools were encouraged to participate.
Physical Education teachers implemented the program at each individual elementary school. The teachers were in direct communication with the South Florida Fair staff to ensure distribution of documentation and mileage log sheets. Each student athlete who participated and completed all 26.2 miles received free admission to the Fair on the day of the race, finisher’s medal, T-shirt, goodie bag, bib number and refreshments after the race. The second component of the program required students to read 15 minutes each day. These lessons include topics on physical activity, health, nutrition and fitness.
The 1st Annual South Florida Fair Kid’s Mile had 1,737 participants from 33 schools from the District. On the day of the race 137 additional students signed up but were not logged below:
- default_titleSouth Olive Elementary with 283 students received $1,000 for 1st Place - Congratulations to PE Teacher – Ulrike Vernachio
- default_titleEquestrian Trails Elementary with 252 students received $500 for 2nd Place – Congratulations to PE Teacher – Amie Schneider
- Show More
- default_titleThe School District’s Chief Academic Officer – Judith Klinek
- default_titleSchool Board Member – Karen M. Brill, District 3
- default_titleCommissioner – Shelley Vana, District 3
- default_titleCommissioner – Paulette Burdick, District 2
- default_titleMayor of West Palm Beach – Jeri Muoio
- default_titleFormer Mayor of West Palm Beach – Lois Frankel
- Show More
The South Florida Fair has partnered with Southern Waste Systems to implement “Sneakers 4 Shelters” for this next year’s recycling program component. The goal is to collect at least 1,000 pairs of shoes to be distributed to needy families in Palm Beach County.