Teaching nutrition, promoting exercise, changing lives! – Commit 2B Fit® is a non-profit organization working to combat childhood obesity and promote overall wellness. Commit 2B Fit® provides a solution for childhood obesity by delivering programs that effect positive and healthy behavioral change in children and families.
The Commit 2B Fit® school program is a comprehensive educational program that teaches children the basics of sound nutrition and the importance of regular physical activity. Through small daily lessons that are both cumulative and reinforcing, Commit 2B Fit® aims to instill in children a pattern of behavior that can lead to a lifetime of wellness.
During the 2011-2012 school year, The School District of Palm Beach County continued to strategically expand this award winning program into 41 elementary schools in 3rd thru 5th grades. Additionally, several schools opted to include K-2 grades as well.
At the beginning of the school year, each student receives a customized Commit 2B Fit® academic/wellness student planner that encourages students to record their physical activity, fruit and vegetable intake, as well as their academic assignments. In addition to serving as a daily planner, the academic/wellness student planner contains fitness and nutrition information along with information on oral health. The Commit 2B Fit® student planner serves as a communication tool between the teacher, student, and parent – embracing the importance of family involvement in setting and achieving goals.
Once a student takes the Commit 2B Fit® pledge, they receive an affirmation charm. As the student meets the goals of the program, there are opportunities to receive additional charms and other incentives.
The eight week journal is filled with nutrition and fitness information specific to adults which mirrors the Commit 2B Fit® process of establishing goals and logging physical activity and nutrition.
Each year teachers receive a training to successfully incorporate Commit 2B Fit® into the school day without adding another layer to the student’s already busy schedule.
This 2011-2012 school year, Commit 2B Fit® introduced a new Teacher Training Manual to accompany the Student Planner. The training manual is rich in resources and includes ideas and lesson plans that aligned with the content in the agendas and with academic subjects.
The Commit 2B Fit® academic/wellness student planner has been customized to meet the needs of students in Palm Beach County. During the past few school years, the Palm Beach County Oral Health Coalition collaborated with the founders of the Commit 2B Fit® program to add an oral health component that served as a reminder for students to brush their teeth three times a day. Additionally, Student Intervention Services partnered with the founders of the Commit 2B Fit® program to incorporate a customized Character Counts! In Palm Beach County and Stop Bullying! . The Wellness Promotion Task Force served as the link to bridge these partnerships and facilitate the additional customizations.
- default_titleA three-year evaluation of the Commit 2B Fit® program was published in the Florida Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation Dance, and Sport Journal. In the peer-reviewed article, the author Dr. Valerie George wrote: “This may very well be the “Solution” program. The first years of Commit 2B Fit® have shown that it is possible to create change in our students and their families…”
- default_titleIn 2009, Commit 2B Fit® received recognition for Best Practices to Prevent Childhood Obesity presented by the Florida Initiative for Children’s HealthCare Quality (FLICHQ).
- Show More
Commit 2B Fit conducted a Year End Teacher Survey for the 2011-2012 school year. The feedback and results reinforce the value and impact of Commit 2B Fit®.
- default_title90% reported that the Commit 2B Fit® planner met the academic and wellness needs of their students.
- default_title76% said that they believe having nutrition goals and logging consumption helped motivate their students to eat more servings of fruits and vegetables.
- default_title79% believe having physical activity goals and logging activity motivated their students to be more active.
- default_title71% said that their involvement with the Commit 2B Fit® program made a positive impact on their nutrition and physical activity.
- Show More
- default_title"Your planners are a lifesaver! The students are more aware of eating foods that are healthy for them. Thank you!"
- default_title"I think that the Commit 2B Fit® planners are a valuable resource. It makes the children think about what foods they are putting into their bodies and makes them think about making healthier choices."
- default_title"I love having these planners for my students! We use them daily for communication with parents, homework assignments, homework help, and healthy tips! Thank You!"
- default_title"I think that ALL staff and students should be involved with the Commit 2B Fit® program. The children really get into it throughout the year."
- default_title"Thank you for providing motivation for our students to do their best and take responsibility for their personal growth."
- Show More
- default_titleThe School District of Palm Beach County
- default_titlePalm Beach County Parks and Recreation Division
- default_titlePublix Supermarkets
- default_titleMiami Dolphins Foundation
- Show More
In the 2012-2013 school year, Commit 2B Fit® will be implementing a teacher training via TrainU in keeping with district protocol. The training will include a VODCAST and will allow teachers to download the Commit 2B Fit® assets, materials, and resources directly from the course.
Commit 2B Fit® will launch a newly designed website and corresponding social media campaign to provide greater interactivity for students, teachers and parents.